This one-day course is designed to provide IT professionals with a fundamental understanding of cybersecurity, with a particular focus on ransomware. The course covers topics such as cybersecurity threats, encryption, authentication, authorization, and ransomware attacks, along with strategies for ransomware protection.
The course is suitable for both novice and experienced IT professionals. It's designed for individuals who may have experience or exposure to other IT-related areas, but have minimal or no exposure to cybersecurity or ransomware. This includes administrators, developers, testers, analysts, and students.
- Understand the cybersecurity landscape
- Describe how encryption works
- Understand the difference between authorization and authentication
- Discuss device-based threats
- Understand networks and network-based threats
- Discuss how applications can be exploited by cybercriminals
- Discuss ransomware, the types of ransomware attacks, and ransomware families
- Describe different ways to prevent ransomware
- Understand common signs of ransomware attacks
- Describe how to recover from ransomware attacks
Module 1: Fundamentals of Cybersecurity
This module explains the fundamentals of cybersecurity. It will give the student an awareness of the cybersecurity landscape, how encryption, authentication and authorization work, and draws attention to different attack vectors that cybercriminals can exploit to carry out attacks and gain unauthorized access.
- An overview of cybersecurity
- Basic introduction to encryption
- How to verify your users and control their access
- Network threats
- Devices as threat vectors
- Application vulnerabilities
Lab 1: Fundamentals of Cybersecurity
- Paper-based exercise, break out session with scenario and discussion with the group on the outcome.
- Describe the cybersecurity landscape.
- Discuss how encryption works.
- Describe the differences between authentication and authorisation.
- Describe different network types, the network threat landscape and how to protect them from cyberattack.
- Describe what a device is, how much a device knows about you, and device-based threats.
- Discuss how applications can be exploited to gain access
Module 2: The Basics of Ransomware
This module explains the basics of ransomware. Students will get a basic introduction to ransomware, how to protect against ransomware, and what can be done to effectively recover from a ransomware attack.
- Introduction to ransomware
- How to protect against ransomware attacks
- How to recover from a ramsomware attack
Lab 1: The Basics of Ransomware
- Paper-based exercise, break out session with scenario and discussion with the group on the outcome
- Understand ransomware
- Describe different types of ransomware attacks
- Discuss the ransomware families
- Discuss how ransomware has become a business
- Understand defense mechanisms against ransomware attacks
- Describe ways to prevent ransomware
- Describe antivirus and antimalware tools
- Describe common signs of a ransomware attack
- Understand how to respond to a ransomware attack
- Basic awareness of IT, devices, and applications.