This course covers the basics of Microsoft Security principles and provides an appropriate entry point to a future career in technology and assumes some hands-on experience or training but does not assume on-the-job experience.
Security is one of the most important aspects of an organization’s overall protection from threats. Whether wired or wireless, networks are a target for cyberattacks, so protection is essential.
Students will develop an understanding of security layers, network security, operating system security, and security software.
This course is for anyone interested enhancing their fundamental understanding of security and computer networking related skills. You might already be working in IT or Cyber Security or completely new to the industry.
Whilst knowledge of Security and Networking would be beneficial, it is not essential. This is an entry-level course so can be taken by anyone regardless of prior experience or skill level!
Module 1: Understanding Security Layers
- Introducing Core Security Principles
- Understanding Physical Security as the First Line of Defence
- Performing Threat Modelling
Module 2: Understanding Authentication, Authorization and Accounting
- Starting Security with Authentication
- Introducing Directory Services with Active Directory
- Comparing Rights and Permissions
- Understanding NTFS
- Sharing Drives and Folders
- Introducing the Registry
- Using Encryption to Protect Data
- Understanding IPsec
- Introducing Smart Cards
- Configuring Biometrics, Microsoft Hello
- Using Auditing to Complete the Security Picture
Module 3: Understanding Security Policies
- Using Password Policies to Enhance Security
- Protecting Domain User Account Passwords
Module 4: Understanding Network Security
- Using Dedicated Firewalls to Protect a Network
- Using Isolation to Protect the Network
- Protecting Data with Protocol Security
- Understanding Denial-of-Service (DoS) Attacks
- Securing the Wireless Network
Module 5: Protecting the Server and Client
- Protecting the Client Computer
- Managing Client Security Using Microsoft Defender
- Protecting Your Email
- Securing & Configuring Microsoft Edge
- Protecting Your Server
- Using Security Baselines
- Locking Down Devices to Run Only Trusted Applications
- Managing Microsoft Store Apps
*When labs are available, they must be purchased from the lab provider.