This four-day course presents a thorough understanding of the Windows 11 operating system, its features, and related troubleshooting methods. An emphasis is given to the changes from Windows 10, covering system architecture, user interface alterations, and the inclusion of both Linux and Android subsystems. There's a focus on the troubleshooting of installation and deployment issues, highlighting the importance of tools like Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Performance Monitor. Typical troubleshooting procedures and reasons why certain devices may fail to upgrade to Windows 11 are discussed in depth.
The second module explores remote administration tools within Windows 11. Remote Desktop, Quick Assist, Windows Admin Center, and Windows PowerShell are scrutinized, demonstrating how each can be used to resolve issues. The focus here is not just on the utilization of these tools, but also on their selection based on the situation at hand.
The course then delves into startup troubleshooting and system recovery. It outlines potential issues that may occur during startup, highlights the Windows startup process and recovery environment, and explains how to resolve system services issues. The methodology of computer recovery is also addressed here, with BitLocker-protected drives as a central theme.
Module four discusses hardware devices and device drivers, teaching the course participants how to troubleshoot issues related to these. The attention is given to Group Policy settings and their potential to control or inhibit hardware installation.
The fifth module addresses network connectivity. The course instructs students on identifying network settings, diagnosing issues in wired and wireless networks, and troubleshooting name resolution. It also provides a rundown of Remote Access, underlining issues with VPN connectivity.
Group Policy is the focus of module six, which provides an overview and strategies for resolving issues in client configuration GPO application. The seventh module delves into security settings, focusing on tools like Credential Guard, Exploit Guard, and Application Guard, and methods for securing the startup environment, including Secure Boot and other related technologies.
Module eight presents user state synchronization, including the management of roaming profiles, UE-V, and folder redirection. Module nine follows up with resource access, troubleshooting file permissions, printer access, and file recovery.
The tenth module focuses on application troubleshooting. It covers everything from common desktop application operations to Universal Windows apps and Microsoft Store. Application Control, AppLocker policies, and Kiosk mode configuration are also discussed.
The final module on maintaining Windows 11 teaches students to identify performance issues, manage Windows updates, and troubleshoot related problems. It provides a comprehensive overview of Windows Update and its configuration for businesses.
- Describe the processes involved in planning and using a troubleshooting methodology for Windows 11.
- Troubleshoot startup issues and operating system services on a Windows 11 PC.
- Perform system recovery.
- Resolve issues related to hardware devices and device drivers.
- Administer Windows 11 devices.
- Troubleshoot issues related to network connectivity.
- Configure Windows 11 devices by using Group Policy.
- Configure and troubleshoot user settings.
- Configure and troubleshoot resource access.
- Implement remote connectivity.
- Deploy and troubleshoot applications.
- Maintain Windows 11 devices.
Module 1: Introducing Windows 11
This module describes the new Windows 11 operating system features and devices, with a particular focus on what’s changed since Windows 10.
The modules also describes the process of developing and applying a Windows 11 troubleshooting methodology.
- Overview of Windows 11
- New features in Windows 11
- Highlight significant changes from Windows 10
- Brief overview of UI changes
- Includes overview of system architecture, including both Linux and Android subsystems
- Troubleshooting installation and deployment
- Overview of required hardware, identifying differences from Windows 10
- Describe common reasons why devices cannot upgrade to Windows 11
- Recommendations for typical troubleshooting procedures
- Introduction to troubleshooting tools
- Task Manager
- Resource Monitor
- Performance Monitor
- Review of revised Settings app
Lab 1: Using Windows 11 Troubleshooting Tools
- Use Windows 11 troubleshooting tools
- Describe the Windows 11 operating system and its features
- Troubleshoot installation and deployment of Windows 11
- Describe typical troubleshooting procedures
- Use common Windows 11 troubleshooting tools
Module 2: Administering Windows 11 Remotely
This module describes how to use the various remote administration tools in Windows 11 to resolve issues. It describes the features and functionalities of tools such as Windows Admin Center, Remote Desktop, Quick Assist, and Windows PowerShell.
- Overview of administration tools
- Using Remote Desktop
- Using Quick Assist
- Using Windows Admin Center
- Introduction to Windows PowerShell
- Remoting with Windows PowerShell
- Enabling PowerShell Remoting
- Trusted hosts
- Introduction to provisioning
Lab 1: Administering Windows 11 remotely
- Implement Remote Desktop
- Manage remote computers using Windows PowerShell
- Select a suitable remote administration tool
- Implement Remote Desktop connections
- Use Windows PowerShell Remoting
- Describe Windows provisioning
Module 3: Troubleshooting startup and performing system recovery
This module describes potential problems that can cause startup issues in Windows 11. It also provides an overview of the Windows startup process, including the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and Boot Configuration Data (BCD). It also describes how to resolve issues related to operating system services and how to recover a computer.
- Overview of the Windows 11 Recovery Environment
- Configuring the Registry
- Troubleshooting startup settings
- Recovering BitLocker-protected drives
- Troubleshooting OS service Issues
- Recovering a computer
Lab 1: Troubleshooting startup and performing system recovery
- Explore Windows RE
- Resolve a startup issue
- Configure and recover BitLocker
- Recover a computer after failure
- Describe the Windows 11 recovery environment
- Configure the registry
- Troubleshoot startup settings
- Recover BitLocker encrypted drives
- Troubleshoot operating system services
- Recover a computer
- Resolve common application compatibility issues
Module 4: Troubleshooting devices and device drivers
This module explores how to troubleshoot issues related to hardware devices and device drivers.
- Overview of hardware troubleshooting
- Group Policy settings than can control/inhibit hardware installation
- Troubleshooting device driver failures
Lab 1: Troubleshooting devices and device drivers
- Troubleshoot missing drivers
- Resolve a hardware issue
- Describe procedures for troubleshooting hardware
- Describe available group policy settings for device management
- Troubleshoot device driver failures
Module 5: Configuring and troubleshooting network connectivity
This module describes how to identify network settings and troubleshoot issues related to network connectivity in wired and wireless networks, IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity, and name resolution. This module also provides an overview of Remote Access and describes how to troubleshoot issues with VPN connectivity.
- Identifying incorrectly configured network and TCP/IP settings
- Overview of IPv4 subnet addressing to help identify incorrectly configured devices
- Determining Network Settings
- Troubleshooting network connectivity
- Troubleshooting name resolution
- Overview of remote access
- Troubleshooting issues with VPN connectivity
Lab 1: Configuring and troubleshooting network connectivity
- Troubleshoot a network connectivity issue
- Troubleshoot name resolution
- Troubleshoot remote access
- Configure Windows 11 network settings
- Troubleshoot network connectivity issues
- Troubleshoot name resolution issues
- Describe remote access options
- Configure and troubleshoot VPNs
Module 6: Troubleshooting Group Policy
This module provides an overview of Group Policy application and describes how to resolve issues in client configuration GPO application.
- Overview of Group Policy
- Resolving client-configuration failures and GPO application issues
Lab 1: Troubleshooting Group Policy
- Troubleshoot the application of GPOs on client devices
- Describe Group Policy
- Resolve GPO application issues on client devices
Module 7: Configuring and Troubleshooting Security Settings
This module describes various security settings in Windows 11, including Credential Guard, Exploit Guard, and Application Guard. Windows Hello authentication is also covered, in addition to common sign-in issues, how to detect them, and how to troubleshoot these issues. The module also explains ways to secure the startup environment, including Secure Boot and related technologies.
- Overview of:
- Secure Boot, Trusted Boot, Measured Boot
- UEFI settings
- TPM requirements
- Implementing network security with Windows Defender Firewall and Windows Defender Firewall with Advanced Security
- Implementing Credential Guard, Exploit Guard, and Application Guard
- Configuring Windows Hello
- Troubleshooting sign-in issues
Lab 1: Configuring and Troubleshooting Security Settings
- Resolve a sign-in issue
- Describe Windows startup security
- Implement Windows Defender Firewall
- Describe Windows 11 security settings
- Configure Windows Hello
- Troubleshoot Windows 11 sign-in
Module 8: Configuring and Troubleshooting User State
This module provides guidance on configuring and troubleshooting user state synchronization in an on-premises network. This includes managing roaming profiles, UE-V, and folder redirection.
- Troubleshooting the application of user settings
- Configuring and troubleshooting UE-V
- Configuring and troubleshooting Folder Redirection
Lab 1: Configuring and Troubleshooting User State
- Configure UE/V
- Configure Folder Redirection
- Troubleshoot Folder Redirection
- Describe user state
- Configure UE-V
- Configure Folder Redirection
Module 9: Configuring and Troubleshooting Resource Access
This module describes how to troubleshoot issues with file permissions and printer access. It also describes how to configure and manage file recovery in Windows 11.
- Troubleshooting file permissions issues
- Troubleshooting issues with printers
- Performing File Recovery in Windows 11
Lab 1: Configuring and Troubleshooting Resource Access
- Resolve a file access issue
- Troubleshoot printing
- Recover files
- Troubleshoot file permissions issues
- Troubleshoot printing
- Describe file synchronization
- Perform file recovery
Module 10: Troubleshooting applications
This module explains how to troubleshoot common desktop application operations issues. It also describes the Universal Windows apps and the Microsoft Store. The module also explains how to resolve issues related to Application Control and AppLocker policies. Finally, the module covers how to enable and configure Kiosk mode.
- Troubleshooting desktop apps
- Managing Universal Windows apps
- Overview of Application Control
- Troubleshooting AppLocker Policy application
- Troubleshooting application compatibility Issues
- Configuring Kiosk mode
Lab 1: Troubleshooting applications
- Troubleshoot AppLocker
- Provision a kiosk device
- Troubleshoot desktop app deployment
- Manage Universal Windows apps
- Describe Application Control
- Describe AppLocker
- Troubleshoot application compatibility issues
- Configure a kiosk device
Module 11: Maintaining Windows 11
This module describes how to identify performance issues in Windows 11. It also explains how to manage and troubleshoot Windows updates.
- Monitoring and troubleshooting Computer Performance
- Overview of Windows Update
- Configuring Windows Update for Business
- Troubleshooting Windows updates
Lab 1: Maintaining Windows 11
- Review computer performance
- Configure Windows Update
- Describe performance monitoring
- Describe Windows Update
- Troubleshoot Windows updates
- Networking fundamentals, including Transmission Control Protocol /Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), User Datagram Protocol (UDP), and Domain Name System (DNS).
- Microsoft Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles.
- Understanding of the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) components.
- Windows Server fundamentals.
- Microsoft Windows Client essentials; for example, experience with Windows 10 or 11 or knowledge from the M70697A: Implementing and Managing Windows 11 course.
*When labs are available, they must be purchased from the lab provider.